Primitive Camping Cabin
Looking for a down to Earth, rustic atmosphere? Looking forward to not having to set up a tent for your family? Our primitive camping cabin offers an opportunity to stay in the Great Outdoors with more than just a tent wall to protect you from the elements. This cabin is located in DeSoto State Park’s quiet and peaceful Primitive Campground. The cabin is situated facing the forest; during the winter views of Lookout Mountain can be seen thru the trees.
About the cabin: Through the Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) through ADECA and the National Park Service, DeSoto State Park was awarded a grant in 2013 to build a cabin that would provide a primitive camping experience to any adventurous family or guests.
- The camping cabin sleeps up to 5 people and is outfitted with a bunk bed with an upper twin, a lower full, and a trundle twin bed. There is also a twin daybed.
- You will need to bring your own linens or sleeping bags.
- There is a dining table and benches, living area chairs, and rockers on the porch, as well as a food preparation area with sink/basin. (Please no pets & no smoking.)
- The camping cabin does NOT have electricity, heat, or water. The cabin does have lights from a solar kit on the roof.
- For a water source, a community water spigot is located near the vaulted toilet several yards away. You will be given access at registration to the improved campground's comfort stations for showers & flush toilets.
- The primitive area is secured by a padlocked gate; a key to the Camping Cabin and the Primitive Campground gate will be issued at time of check-in.
- Turn in the issued key in at the Country Store on check-out; after hours use the key drop box outside the Country Store door.
RATES VARY DEPENDING ON SEASON AND HOLIDAYS. CALL 256-845-5075
- A deposit of one-night's rent plus resort and transaction fees are required to hold a reservation. 13% Lodging Tax and 4% Resort Fee applied to each night. One-time convenience fee for all overnight accommodations- $5.00 (non-refundable). All rates are subject to change without notice.
- Cancellation of a reservation has to be within 72 hours of arrival.
- Check in time is 2:00 PM on the day of arrival and check out time is 11:00 AM the day of departure.
- We recommend that reservations for holiday weekends should be made at least 3 months in advance.
- Please note, cell service may be spotty through-out the park, and wifi does not reach to the primitive campground.
Rules and regulations
To help us keep the overnight rates low, we ask you to perform a few housekeeping tasks before you leave:
• Pack out all you packed in - do not leave any food or equipment
• Take all trash with you
• Empty any water out of the basin
• Sweep out the cabin
• Close and lock all windows
• LOCK THE DOORS BEHIND YOU
- For more information or to make a reservation by phone, please call the Country Store at 1-800-760-4089 or 1-800-ALAPARK.
- On arrival in DeSoto State Park, check in at DeSoto's Country Store & Information Center
- Country Store Hours: Open 7 Days a Week: 9:00 am -5:00 pm (CST).
- For camping check-in after hours, stop by DeSoto State Park's Lodge or call 256.845.0051 for assistance.
When traveling to the park, please be advised that GPS directions are NOT reliable (especially when pulling a large rig). Please see our written driving directions on the webpage Plan Your Trip.
FREE WiFi Hotspots
*Campground Comfort Stations
* Lodge Lobby
* Motel Rooms
* Park Office
* Country Store
Please note, cell service may be spotty through-out the park, and wifi does not reach to the primitive campground.