Dog Pond at Lake Shelby
The Dog Park is Temporarily Closed for Renovations.
We are excited to announce that Lake Shelby is getting some much needed upgrades. The entire Lake Shelby area will be fenced and closed to the public for the duration of the renovation process. However, trail access near the lake will remain open throughout the project. The picnic area, boat launch, and dog park will be closed until summer 2021.
Enhancements to the Lake Shelby area will include a modern playground with three areas for different age groups, separate small and large dog parks with covered seating and water fountains, new bathrooms, an improved parking area, a new tram stop, and a bikeshare station for public use within the park.
For more information about this renovation project and the other areas that it includes, please view our press release.
Bring your dog to enjoy the agility and play equipment at the Park!
The Dog Pond is located at Lake Shelby on the left side of the parking lot.
Dog Park Rules
- Hours are from 8:00 a.m. to sunset
Gulf State Park is home to many types of wildlife, including alligators. Please be aware at all times. For detailed information, please see our Wildlife Safety recommendations.
- Dogs must be current on all vaccinations
- Dogs should also wear an owner identification tag at all times.
- Dogs must be leashed when entering and exiting the Dog Park.
- For the safety of your dog(s) and other park visitors, choke, prong (pinch) and spike collars are strictly prohibited. If you use these types of collars, remove them before entering the park.
- No Children under the age of 16 is permitted unless accompanied by an adult. Children have a tendency to scream and run when excited, which can trigger a dog's prey drive or natural instinct to chase. For this reason and for the safety of your children, we do not recommend bringing small children and infants into the dog park.
- Aggressive dogs are not permitted on the premises. Dogs must be removed at the first sign of aggression.
- Female dogs in heat are prohibited from entering the park.
- Dog owners must be in the park and within view of their dogs at all times.
- All off-leash dogs must be under voice control of their owners. If you cannot control your dog off leash, keep your pet leashed at all times.
- Dog owners must keep their leash in hand at all times.
- Please do not bring dog food into the park as it may entice a dog fight. Treats are welcome.
- Owner must clean up dog feces. Seal waste in the provided plastic bags before disposing in designated receptacles.
- Fill any holes your dog digs to ensure there aren’t any fall hazards.
- Proof of a current rabies vaccination and license is required upon request of a police or animal control officer. Tags may serve as proof.
- Failure to abide by the park rules may result in loss of privileges or owners may be ticketed and asked to vacate the premises.
- Gulf State Park is not responsible for any injuries that take place in the dog park.
For any questions or to report any violations, please call our park Headquarters at (251) 948-7275. In the event of an emergency, please call 911 and give them the location of Gulf State Park picnic area on Lake Shelby.